Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Challenge

I feel like Jean Valjean.

I’m starting to question who I am. What I am. Where I am going. What it all means.

Of course, I’m not running from the law with a child that I took from a sleazy bar during the French revolution, but still, I feel like my life is that confusing.

I want you all to know clearly and truly (take your time, I don’t want you to misunderstand): I…AM…A…HYPOCRITE. That means “someone who is not who they seem to be.” “Someone who tries to deceive.” “A liar.” I lie everyday in the ways I communicate, in the ways that I appear. If you ask me how I am, don’t trust my answers. If you see me smile, have some doubt about my smiling heart.

My relationships are no longer like a sunny meadow. That’s how it was when I was a child. Every laugh bright and green. I turned into a teenager, and my life became overcast. My screaming can’t reach my mouth. I can no longer think straight and a heavy hand grasps my heart at every chance of happiness. Life like the many flashes from a Polaroid camera, I am blinded with hopeful insignificance.

I speak, but the fire of my thoughts burn my throat and nothing is heard.

I write and my pen runs dry before I can explain.

Who, no what, am I?

Am I dramatic, and this is just a farce?

Maybe I’m completely different and no one will understand.

What if I’m irrelevant and no one will care?

Or maybe I’m the most spoilt sinner, deserving of hell, eternal judgment, God’s wrath. Yes. This is truth finally.

I am selfish, proud, and arrogant. I am a perverse fire, I am an unwilling sacrifice. My heart is rotten, like a soured apple, and my soul causes my affliction. I can only weep and moan in my own waste looking to receive the light of God’s eye.

Why can’t we see each other? Why can’t we see each other! Look into a friend’s eyes. Look into your parent’s eyes. Look into your own eyes. I am an unworthy sinner.

BUT

God sent His Son to save you from utter destruction. From unending flame, and unceasing pain. He chose YOU.

Why?

Not of anything in you! Because He wanted to. That’s why.

Now?

Live. Just live. Obey His commands, and love. It is pretty simple. We don’t need to go around wondering who we are. We are redeemed. We are God’s children. Now live like it. Forgive, Love, Endure, Hope, Witness, and STOP! STOP! STOP! Being proud. Eradicate it! Take it out of your soul. Take it out of my soul, oh GOD!


Dear me,

You disgust my soul and everyday I will try to kill you. Take your residence elsewhere and make room for the Spirit of the Living God. Thanks.

Myself.



Now hear my challenge. This is not more fiction. This is me. This is your friend calling for help. Please comment, whether it be anonymous or not, just let me know, let everyone know that they are not in this by themselves. We seem to be caught up in a mess of jokes and sarcasms, we seem to be caught up in stolidness and unfeeling. Let everyone know that you are there, alive, for them. That you care, and that you need to be cared for. This is a cry, a plea, that we let each other know that we are hurting. We all are. Just communicate it.

Not many people will see this. Not many people will care. But I do. And I’m sure others do too.

So please, be a Godsend, and let others know that you exist. As a brother. As a sister. As a friend in Christ.

7 comments:

  1. Ouch James... Ouch Ouch OUch. Sigh. Nope. I can't say anything except I feel exactly what you are talking about. But I thank God for the eternal hope we have in Him. For without Him we would be truly lost. Why do we hide from it? But know James, that there are many who love and pray for you and want to encourage you in the fight for His Kingdom. It is most definitely worth it.
    A sister in Christ, who is learning to love her brothers and sisters every day

    ReplyDelete
  2. That. Was. AMAZING!!!!! and seriously convicting. Thank you for slapping me around, and for being an awesome friend who speaks from the heart. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post James. It was very much what many of us have had conversations about. God always sends the perfect things at the right time. Praying for you today brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I needed that right about now. Wow... Thanks for that, James. ...Like Anonymous said, there are so many who love and pray for you and want to encourage you in the fight.

    Praying for you, and my other brothers and sisters extra much today. thanks for the reminder, James.

    "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, if I'm the official cynical extortionist....

    Why do we thank James, and say that we're praying for him...and yet, next time we see him nothing will be different? I know I sound like a grumpy old man with a wedgie, hear me out.

    Could we be deceiving ourselves in our comments here? We may agree with the words of our brother, but is that enough?

    Is it time to tear down our cruddy facades? Can we genuinely meet together and pray as brothers and sisters in a fallen world? Is there something wrong with being vulnerable?

    Or do you want to keep that cruddy facade, and limit God's righteousness in you to internet chatter?

    Take the challenge, and be radical about it! The days are evil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh myyyyy. Your post has shaken me. I could say "smiley face, Jesus loves you and I'm praying for you", but to break the pattern of meaningless and somewhat trite pats on the back, I'll try, anonymously, ( for shame, self, you braggart and thief of heart!), to be genuine. I honestly wanted to just quickly comment that James, you're not the only one struggling with self. Wondering why you're a hypocrite. Feeling useless. hopeless. helpless. Like you're wearing a mask glued to your face with your own hands, which, even if you could remove it, frightens you to your core. What if... people actually see who I am underneath my happy face? I often watch people- do you ever picture everyone wearing a yellow happy face mask? "Oh, how was your week? *smile* Isn't that spiffy? I am just sooo happy beyond measure!* quick hug/ smile.*" AAAAAA! I. AM. TIRED OF IT!!!! I just want to scream! run around the room! tear my hair out!!! And then, I remember my mask. How foolish I am! Before I truly realized my salvation in Christ, (and even sometimes now), I would look into the mirror in the morning and whisper words of hate to myself. Tears come to my eyes as I remember. " I hate you." I said "I hate everything you turned out to be. Everything you are." I'd bring my voice down further and sneer, " what a disappointment you are. Look around you! I hate you with every fiber in my being." ANd then, my weird double personality came out and I would fall to the floor and cry. Eventually, I'd go to bed. Wake up. Pretend nothing happened. Come home from school. repeat. I praise the Lord he saved me from my depression. I'll leave it at that. Praise the Lord for HE IS GOOD. We are evil, and He has rescued us from it. The Lord has picked me up so very many times, and has never forsaken me. Amen. I pray the Lord remove all of our masks and help us to be as genuine with everyone else as we are with ourselves- even more so. I pray the Lord use me for good. He has used the foolish things before. Concluding my mini- blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. James, not to be trite or make light in any way the storm of raw truth and power which you have just written, I will say that yes, this moment comes to all people of every shape, color, gender and religion. This is the infamous moment when life slaps you right in the face. When you are forced to come to terms with living as a soul packaged in the shrink-wrapped trappings and constraints of flesh.
    This moment is called evolution.
    If you are lucky, as some people are, they will come to terms with the great unknown of life's catastrophe. They will step forward prepared to grapple mystery, make themselves larger to accommodate all the new sensations and wisdom of LIFE.
    Some people will crumble and fall, never to get back up. So thoroughly broken by the weight of the world they will forever feed themselves on the communion of anti-depressants and mind-numbing cocktails of lies.

    I have been broken, torn apart, screamed through tears of rage and anguish at a beautiful blue sky that I wanted to beat with my fists. I have quivered in a puddle of self-loathing and hatred with thoughts of suicide and retribution for those who had wronged me. I have awoken to find myself such a hollow shell of breathing meat slowly aging and desiccating with every breath I took. I felt life hurt me, scar me, abrade me like pushing cheese over a grater and all the little jagged pieces of me held no resemblance to a person.
    I found myself eventually, but it was years of useless pain before I saw the obvious: If it does not make you stronger it will break you. The choice is yours. If you do not learn from it you will make the same mistake again and again perpetuating your darkness. The choice is yours.

    I apologize, I think I ranted...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave some feedback. Good or bad (but preferably good:), I would love to here it!